[C320-list] Garhauer Genoa Cars

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Tue Jan 20 11:17:09 PST 2009

Gary,

Get the Garhauer Genoa cars.  They will make a huge difference in
performance, racing or cruising.  There is no line clutter issues
either.

Also you will adjust the cars even with the sail fully unfurled.  The
adjustments are made based on wind conditions and to a degree the trim
of the Main Sail.  It is not for just a partially furled head sail.

Main Sail Preventer -

Well I use my crew for that, LOL.  We call them the human preventers!
To be honest when racing with no spinnaker and the winds are light to
moderate and we are doing wing-on-wing we have never had a problem.
In heavier air the sails are adjusted accordingly - when cruising we
do not do a wing-on-wing and never had an accidental jibe; for races
we have a reefed main and unfurl the headsail for the down wind legs
and go wing-on-wing, but I never had a problem in 24 years of sailing.

That said though if you are short handed and/or do lots of down wind
sailing a preventer might be the option for you.

Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"