[C320-list] Garhauer Genoa Cars

pat reynolds lorasalum at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 12:08:34 PST 2009

Andrew,  why a reefed main on downwind legs?  When racing it is easy to run a line hooked to the boom to a forward cleat since you can't always trust that the helmsperson will not be distracted.  All it takes is a second of inattentiveness.  I have seen a crew member hit with a mere glancing blow and it was not pretty.  Also I happened to be standing in the companionway when the traveler flew over and almost removed my ear.  Another crew member on a Morgan 38 lost a finger in a traveler.

Our racing rules require the use of a preventer on downwind legs.  When jibing the line is simply removed from the forward cleat by the bowman.  I know from local knowledge that you are an excellant racer.  I think that with 24 years without an accidental jibe you are also a extremely lucky one.

Good luck in San Francisco and keep your head down out there.

Pat R.