[C320-list] Garhauer Genoa Cars

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Tue Jan 20 22:10:12 PST 2009

Hello Pat,

We only reefed in heavy winds - over 20 knots true - I am a chicken,
LOL.  It worked for us though - took 2nd in one race.  Seems most of
the races in Lake Michigan are calm though - grrrrr.  I know that will
not be the case in SFO. PLENTY OF AIR THERE!

Yes, accidental jibes can be very dangerous. And I have been very
lucky; one experiences a lot in 24 years of sailing.

I can see racing rules requiring a preventer.  We do not require them
in our club, but I can see it.

Thank-you for the comment about my success in racing.  I love
cruising, but I did get the racing bug.  The modifications to the boat
did help, but practice, experience and learning the boat - especially
learning the boat is key to winning.

Which leads me to the comment that I always look at big boats -
certainly did when I had a little, little boat!  But now that I have
the C320 it seems to be the perfect balance of the total boat!
Cruising, racing, relaxing, comfort - roomy enough, but not too big to
handle.  And very responsive.  And the costs are still manageable on a
boat this size.  But I do not need to sell everyone here on how great
this boat is! But it is now tough to change boats - I know this one
too well!

BTW - that little, little boat - a J22, my very first sailboat. I
found it for sale and bought it back!  Now we will soon be sailing it
here in New Mexico (plus summers in Michigan).  It was a TOTAL time
warp seeing it.  I nearly cried the when I saw it again.  It brought
back all the memories of learning how to sail and my initial
adventures.  The J22 was an old love - who looked great and timeless!

Lastly - once Dawn Treader is in SFO I will be racing there.  Yes
looking for crew.  Stay tuned.......

Best Regards,
Andrew
C320 "Dawn Treader"