[C320-list] When do you reef?

Karl Mielenhausen _/) c320 at suddenlink.net
Mon Mar 9 17:54:18 PDT 2009

Kevin,

Just my opinion, but here is what I have found to be a good balance
between comfort and the performance a racer might be looking for.....

Going to weather, the boat sails best when heeled between 15-20 degrees.
Sailing with the mainsail and 135% genoa, I find it best to reef the main
at about 16 kts apparent, perhaps pushing to 18 kts but only if there are
no gusts. Sea state is a factor also. Here we are usually quickly dealing
with a 3 foot chop with true wind speeds in the 14-18 kts range. Dropping
the traveler is a very effective way to depower this boat in the gusts or
in a steady blow above 16 kts which we might do if we don't think it will
"last". At 20 kts we start reefing the genoa. By about 22 kts apparent,
you probably will want to put in a second reef in the main (if you have
one) or drop it (in my case).

The list archives also had a past discussion on this topic, which I have
captured here....
http://pages.suddenlink.net/kmielen/C320Docs/SailTrimNotes.doc

Cheers,
Karl

--
Karl Mielenhausen
Catalina 320 Hull 690

Join us August 7-9, 2009 at Marina Del Rey, CA for our annual Catalina
320IA Regatta and Annual Meeting.