[C320-list] Dingy on foredeck /// Here is an alternative to using the halyard method.

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 3 16:44:07 PDT 2009

John,

Depending on the size and weight of your dinghy, you may have one
alternative method to consider.

Here is what works for me for my 9 foot 110 pound roll-up BoatUS wooden
interior paneled Seaworthy dinghy that I secure to the foredeck fully
inflated.

I bring the dingy to the foredeck by first positioning the dinghy with the
dinghy bow facing the starboard side of the bow.  I installed snap shackles
on the starboard side lifelines detached from the pulpit.

Then, with the life lines disconnected I pull on lines attached to the
inside of the dinghy transom (secured with eyebolts).

I simply hoist the transom toward the bow by pulling on the transom lines
and stand the dinghy vertical on its bow alongside and then drag the dinghy
aboard the foredeck by pulling on the transom and stepping backward, then
grabbing the rope handles on the dinghy to slide it on the deck with the
transom up against the mast and each pontoon inside the forward stays.

The transom lines are then used to secure the dinghy to the mast. Reattach
the life lines and your good to go with enough room forward to open the
anchor locker. With the dinghy bow loose one can slide the dinghy from side
to side to walk the deck to reach the cleats.

To launch the dinghy, slide the dinghy to the vertical position on its bow
alongside and slowly release the transom lines to return the dinghy to the
water.

Been using this method for 15 years without incident. The method is quick,
simple and moving the dinghy from the stern to the bow of the 320 can be
managed without having to get in and out of the dinghy to attach any special
lines or ever working with the total weight of the dinghy suspended where it
may slip, fall and damage the dinghy or the forward hatch.

Rick
My-Ria Hull #277