[C320-list] Dutchman Flaking System

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Dec 14 05:30:52 PST 2010

When you sail with someone who has a dutchman and knows how to use it, you'll be amazed how fast and simple it is to use.

Watch someone who doesn't and you'll think its a piece of trash and you'll break lines.

We don't use zippers in the cover because we snug up the dutchman and topping lift before dropping the main and loosen both after raising the main. Plus it keeps more water out of the main when the cover is on.

We tried the single line dutchman rigging one year and found it not nearly as good as the double line version and switched back.

I've sailed with both lazyjacks and dutchman and I believe the dutchman does a better job. Our sails are down flaked and we're heading in when the other boats are still fussing with their lazyjacks and tying a huge mess of sails down.

All that said,  its far faster with a good helmsman and one person at the mast.  At the mast, I stand on the halyard and control the drop with my foot.  My wife keeps the sail centered over the boom till its down.

If you just released the halyard and let it go, well ... Good luck with that.  :)

-Jeff