[C320-list] In-Mast Wiring Question

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 14:17:10 PST 2010

I can't imagine you'd use a trailer connector for anything but the mast
lights (deck, steaming, anchor, etc.)  These wires in my #62 mast are rather
large.  Given that the load is not more than 2A, and the wire run is about
125 ft., a #10 wire will yield about a 5% voltage drop that is acceptable
for lighting.

Instrument cabled use about 18awg wires in a shielded insulator. To my
thinking, that calls for a different kind of connector.

I believe the current wisdom is to not solder wires on a boat. Soldered
connections are brittle and subject to breaking. It's better to use a crimp
connector with heat shrink insulation. I've seen these at Home Depot.

Warren & Pattie Updike
Catalina 320, #62, "Warr De Mar"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay