[C320-list] 125% jib

MICHAEL COLE mcol3781 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 12 20:57:38 PST 2010

Hi Sean---here on Sydney Harbour our summer wind strengths are similar to San Francisco Bay although we would only get 30knots in what is called a black north easter
  My sailmaker recommended a 140% jib and I've stuck with this approach with two jibs since I replaced the original. It works well for me and I race approx 28 times a year. I'don't understand your handicapping system so I don't know how it would work for you. if I know the wind is going to be consistently above 22knots we tuck a No1 reef in and rarely ever furl the genoa/jib. In doing this we always get on starboard tack first to ensure we have right away . Having said that, we've sailed without reefing up to 28knots(on our ear!!)  but one loses to much ground to leeward
     Mike Cole   # 421  Mio Dio