[C320-list] Yanmar 3YM30 - Leaking hose barb

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Fri Jul 2 18:50:31 PDT 2010

Hey everyone,

Well I tracked down the mysterious leak of anti freeze and have traced it to the hose barb that supplies the hot water heater, (Or possibly returns it).  It will need to be removed and rebedded.

Some things that I found somewhat concerning on this 2004 boat with a 3YM30....:

  a.. The hose barb had tons of threads exposed.  Maybe not the right size?
  b.. The "paste" used to seal the barb was very soft and almost melted after the engine was hot.  My neighbor indicated that it "wasn't the right stuff" for that application.
  c.. The hose that connects to the hose barb is run over the alternator.  It is wearing through the hose.
  d.. The return is a long bronze tube the sticks way out of the engine to pick up the return hose.
  e.. The return hose is run "behind" the alternator, and shows significant wear.
  f.. Overall this doesn't feel "right" for a 2004 boat with 204 hours total.  It almost feels like the water heater was a "second thought" and was installed by a car mechanic.
Has anyone else seen this type of hot water heater hose installation on their 3YM30s?

Has anyone seen some of the same symptoms?

Has anyone changed it around so the hoses are less suseptable wear?

Has anyone re-run new hot water heater hoses, and about how long did it take and what might I watch out for?

ANY advise appreciated.

What a bummer and I was in such a sailing groove as of late.

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD