[C320-list] Yanmar Winterizing Blues

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 08:52:12 PDT 2010

'Amanda Lu' is now high and dry and on the hard for the winter.  I've gone through all "pink" stuff water systems except the raw water system on the Yanmar, and it's giving me trouble.  I can't get the "pink" stuff to draw into the engine.  I usually just use a jug with a clear hose and stuff the hose up the through-hull.  No luck, the engine won't draw the fluid into the engine.   OK, must be a bad impeller, changed it; still no luck.  Disconnected the hose at the sea water strainer and tried to get the engine to draw from a bucket inside, no luck.  OK, maybe the raw water pump is shot.  I connect the garden hose with a regulator to the engine intake, turned on the hose and start the engine again, got plenty of water out the exhaust.
Anybody got an additional ideas ?   I've pretty much evacuated the raw water out of the system with these test. If I can't find the problem do you I'll be safe through a New England winter ?
Frustrated in CT,
Mike
'Amanda Lu'