[C320-list] 3 Exhaust elbow questions

LOCALJG at aol.com LOCALJG at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 12:33:29 PDT 2010

I am in the process of replacing my exhaust elbow as I type.  Prior to the
purchase of my 320, the surveyor found small holes developing in the exhaust
elbow.  The motor had about 600 hours on it.  The surveyor told me I should
address the problem soon.  So, I guess soon for me was six months?  Oh well
but I digress.

Once it was determined what part was needed to replace the elbow, one was
purchased but prior to placing the new elbow on the boat, my boat guy painted
the part with high temperature engine paint and then placed said part in
the oven to cure it at both 500 and 600 degrees in two iterations of baking.

Next a special wrap was sewn together by a person who sews heat resistant
blankets for the Space and UAV industries.  This special heat resistant wrap
does the same thing as the old aluminum wrap did except it is much more
affective.  The wrap has a wire cage on the inside that keeps the heat resistant
material from touching the elbow.  The entire heat resistant devise is like
a big fitted oven mit.  The outer part is silver heat resistant fabric.
The entire devise fits in two pieces over the area in question and is secured
in place by wires that allow the oven mit apparatus to be removed for
inspection and then placed back on.  Kind of like how shoe laces work on shoes.

The heat resistant blanket was made to perfectly fit the exhaust elbow and
all other parts that go down to the engine.  Once the high temperature paint
was cured, the parts were placed together.  Then the assembled parts were
taken to the person who did the sewing.  That is why the heat blanket fits so
well.

We will be installing the new and improved elbow in a day or so.  I am
expecting the new elbow to last much more than 600 hours since moisture should
not build up between the heat blanket and the elbow.  I believe that was the
culprit that led to the demise of the old elbow?  I am really pleased about
the fact that my new elbow can be regularly inspected so any corrosion can
be addressed prior to calamity.

John G.
# 329