[C320-list] Offensive Odor Be Gone

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Thu Sep 9 08:11:27 PDT 2010

To All who have the Odor problem:

I have been there but no longer

I purchased our 320 (hull no. 718) three years ago.  The poor vessel was
in great condition (in most aspects ) but cosmetically neglected and
left on the hard for two years.  The former owner had other personal
things to deal with, left the boat in the yard and placed her on sale.
Two years later I came along. One of the things we noted in mid winter
when we went for the survey is that the holding tank was filled with
"stuff" and was probably sitting like that for two years.  At the time
all of the "stuff" was frozen solid since ambient temperature was 12 F.
The surveyor found that humorous by the way.  Well...I purchased the
boat and set a plan for putting her back in shape. When springtime came
it smelled bad.  I pumped the tank and flushed it several times.  I
filled the tank with a solution of bleach and water and let it sit for
days.  I cleaned the tank several times.  It still had an offensive
odor.  We lived with that for the first season.  The exterior of the
tank emitted an odor and that was it. So that winter I replaced the
tank. Problem solved I thought.  The following spring the odor was
present.... not as bad nevertheless, the closet and other areas still
had "the odor."   I then decided to replace all of the hoses with the
high grade waste hose (as I had done on my C30 several years ago since
it solved the same problem in my former  1987 C30)  Well the problem has
been solved in the 320 now that all is changed out, Including the vent
hose.  A small residual odor came back until I made that final switch
out.  Note that the black rubber factory hoses are not the highest grade
which is less expensive per foot.   The odor  can be from the tank in
part but more often it is the complete set of hoses that effuse the odor
into the cabin.   To confirm this likely possibility  rub the waste
hoses near the tank with a dry rag.  Then smell the rag.  If it has that
odor the hoses need to be replaced with the high quality (white) waste
hose.  I too maintain the system and only flush with fresh water and
pump / flush the tank as frequently as possible. My boat smells sweet
and fresh whenever we board.

Jeffrey Kapec
Petite Suite   Hull 718