[C320-list] Engine Oil

JJ Morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 20 08:26:13 PDT 2011

Engine oils are very highly engineered these days and it is in fact a waste to change oil in the fall and again in the spring, if the engine has not been run. The oil will not suffer any deterioration if it is just sitting in normal ambient conditions. If you insist on doing it I'd use the cheapest engine oil I could find since you are only throwing it away. I change oil and filter in the fall,prior to lay up, as it gets rid of any contamination and then during the season after 50hrs of run time.
As for the black color of the oil this is normal for a diesel after a few hours of run time, but if you haven't run the engine it could be that you didn't get all the old oil out when you changed it.
Cheers
John Morrison
#574 1999