[C320-list] OIL LEVEL IN WINDLASS

JJ Morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 8 14:11:42 PDT 2011

i removed the inspection cover in the chain locker to have a look at the windlass. There was no oil visible throught the sight glass and when I removed it I could still see no oil. The bearing just below the sight glass seems to be running dry. I added about an ounce of hypoid 90 and it gurgled into the machine and I still no oil is visible. I do not want to overfill the windlass so how does one tell if the correct amount of oil is in the machine short of removing it? The windlass is a Maxwell 500.
Thanks
JohnM
1999 #574