[C320-list] OIL LEVEL IN WINDLASS

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:36:40 PDT 2011

John, Karl, our much esteemed Commodore, recently did an article for the
Mainsheet you'll probably see in the next issue on servicing the windlass.
Maxwell recommends changing or at least checking the oil level every 3
years, and clean/lube the shaft under the drum every year.  "Because the
unit is installed in the horizontal rather than the vertical for which it
was designed, you cannot check the oil level unless you remove it, because
the sight glass is at the top in the horizontal installation."

I don't think mine had been serviced in maybe 15 years.  I needed a puller
to remove the drum.  If you lube the shaft every year or so, it should come
off easily.  Removing the unit is not difficult.  Getting to it is a pain.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"