[C320-list] Asym halyard block or second jib halyard?

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 11:05:56 PDT 2011

Don

Thanks for the input.  Yes - this is a crusing request, unless you are
sailing next to us.  ;<)

In SF Bay it is common to see 25-30kt winds in the course of transiting the
Slot and less than 5kts in the North or South Bay.  A sail plan that will go
up or down wind in 5kts or less and still deal with over 25kts is the
objective.  We have the heavy air solution with our self tacking jib and
reefed main.  What we are looking to address is the light air spectrum where
the small headsail falls short of drive.  An asym is likely the solution,
since we can buy a used one.  But the Doyle modified genneker/code 0
approach, that can be hardened up for windward work and then softened to
move off the wind, sounds exactly like what is needed.   I really appreciate
hearing from the combined brain trust, so chime in if you have other
thoughts.   Thank you for the help.

Pat, 801