[C320-list] Starting Battery

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:16:32 PDT 2011

The group number is only a code describing the physical size of the case.
In as much as size will determine how much lead can be packed in it has some
effect on the capacity.  However, the number and thickness of plates, and
composition of the chemicals is what determines the charge/discharge
characteristic (starting or deep cycle.)  Also, there is a difference
between Low maintenance and No maintenance batteries.

I bought a low maintenance, large capacity auto starting battery at Sam's
Club for about $60.  I think it has about 800CCA. I've never added any
water. It has never had to do much work so it never needs much of a charge.
It's now 5 years old.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"