[C320-list] Fridge Usage

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:56:21 PST 2011

Re: voltage drop, from Nigel Calder, the proper way to measure voltage drop
is to test each leg (neg then pos,) separately by placing one probe on a
battery TERMINAL, not the connector, and the other probe on the end of the
circuit (compressor, in your case,) while there is a load on the circuit.
The drop can be different for the different legs because the corrosion at
terminals and connections can be different.
It is total resistance in the circuit that causes the drop.  The resistance
is the total of the natural resistance in the wire and the resistance added
by connections.  Using a sub-standard connector with a cheap crimper allows
the connection to degrade over time.  If you have more than 3% voltage drop
and you're sure the wire is sized correctly, look for degraded connectors
and connections.  If in doubt, cut them off and replace them.  There's lots
of good info on the net re. using crimped connectors.  Make sure you are
following advice for marine installations.
Warren