[C320-list] Wheel pilot and Crazy Ivans

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:33:51 PST 2011

Of course, there could be several reasons for the Crazy Ivan. Also may
depend on which generation of autopilot you have.  For the ST4000 and 4000+,
I lean to the power issue.  Note that when the unit is powered up it
intentionally engages the wheel motor the purpose being to insure that the
belt is repositioned.  So, any time the unit is reset, it will perform this
action; and, it is always in the same direction and amount.  I don't know if
the Crazy Ivan is the same action as the reset action.

I've noticed that when a 12V load is added, the current drain will pull down
the voltage and the unit will reset.  I know this because, being lazy, I
powered a 12v receptacle from the same source as the autopilot.  (I know:
bad, bad.) Normally, this is only for my hand-held GPS and that does not
reset the A/P.  However, a greater load, like a pump, and the unit resets.
So, my first steps will be to insure a dedicated and properly sized source
for the A/P. Next, clean all the connections as this hasn't been done in
years. Then, reassess the situation.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr de Mar"