[C320-list] weeping strut shows at haul out

Nat Antler nantler at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 6 22:05:34 PST 2011

I've got a 1994 named "Moxie" brought down to San Diego from Santa Barbara last November. She's in the yard (Shelter island boat yard) for new bottom paint. Hull looks pretty good except for a few minor blisters with only one weeping. My concern is the strut holding the shaft bearing. I noticed some weeping all around the strut at the hull. Didn't see it during the brief survey haulout.... didn't have time to show up, I assume. The shaft will allow a tiny bit of movement (just enough to show more weeping at one side or the other) when pushed sideways. After finding a reference to how it's attached and sealed on the inside of the hull, it seems like a major undertaking to access the bolts to see if tightening them would solve the problem. Has anyone gone through this? I'm meeting with the yard people tomorrow to get their recco.

Nat Antler
1994 "Moxie"