[C320-list] replacing the speed transducer

Dean Vermeire dean at vermeire.us
Sun Mar 20 13:46:24 PDT 2011

Hi All,

We have the ST60 instrument set, and I need to replace the speed
transducer.  I have already purchased a replacement.

The replacement, as does the original, has the cable molded into the
transducer unit.  This leaves me with two choices:
1.  Cut the cable on the original and the replacement and splice the
wires, so that I don't have to feed the new cable all the way back to
the pod.
2.  Run the new cable to the pod.

If I run the new cable to the pod, I can either clip the terminals off
the end of the new one, cut the old cable, and use the old cable to pull
the new one through the corrugated tube, or run the cable outside of the
corrugated tube.

Running the new cable all the way back inside the corrugated tube would
be ideal, but could be a lot of work.  On the other hand, I am pretty
good at connecting wires, and I could put heat shrink around the connection.

Have any of you replaced the speed transducer?  If so, how did you do
the wiring?

Thanks,
Dean Vermeire
Moonstruck II  (#847)