[C320-list] Battery Bank Upgrade - Which starting battery??

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:07:19 PDT 2011

Alan, 1000MCA is more than sufficient as a starting battery. I couldn't find
the reference to the starting current in the Perkins Shop Manual; but, I
didn't think the starting amperage was anywhere near 540A.  The Perkins fuse
on the engine I thought was 80A.  I think the fuse I used on my battery
upgrade is 100A. I doubt you need more than that.  Just make sure you clean
all the connections is the starting circuit at least every year or two
depending on where and how the boat is used. I mean the large cables between
the battery, starter and grounds, not necessarily the light wires between
the starting solenoid and switch.  The big ones carry the heavy current.
Corroded connections greatly increase the load, or so I understand.

I think one of the better upgrades was to change the main switch for a Blue
Sea e-series (5511e) dual circuit switch.  Takes all the bother out of
managing the charging underway.  It switches both the starting and house
banks at the same time: either on or off. No thinking required.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr de Mar"