[C320-list] revisiting windlass selection and placement

JJ Morrison sail-ability at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 8 11:15:27 PDT 2011

I have a Maxwell 500 with 150' of 1/4" chain and 100' of nylon rode. It is installed in the anchor well and works great; don't believe it's ever been taxed to it's max as I idle up to the anchor and let the momentum of the boat break the anchor free then the windlass works to get the anchor and chain rode aboard; probably only needs about 75lb of pull for this phase. Only complaint I have is I'd like to have a hand operated control rather than the foot switch which Maxwell doesn't offer as a retrofit. Would also like to be able to lower the anchor using the windlass in the power mode rather than a  breaking mode. Perhaps the newer models offer this, I know Lewmar does.
Cheers
JohnM
1999#574