[C320-list] ANCHOR ISSUES

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Wed Dec 5 17:30:28 PST 2012

> any opinions on the Rocna 10 (22 lbs) vs the Rocna 15 (33
> lbs) as the more appropriate anchor for a 320. weight and
> lifting issues are factors until we an figure out how to
> convert our old Maxwell 500 to something capable of lifting
> the larger anchor.  Rocna claims the 10 is ok for boats
> to 36 ft, the 15 to 39 ft, ignoring displacement and windage.

It always amazes me that the majority of US boats seem determined to have as
light an anchor as possible.  Does everyone only use their yacht for racing
around cans? Perhaps you only sail on millponds or only ever tie up for the
night at docks?  My boat is for cruising and as such I regard my anchor as a
lifeline and it needs to be a good one with a lot of holding power.  I have
a Rocna 15 on my boat along with 20 metres of 8mm chain and then nylon rode
as my main anchor setup.  I wouldn't have less and have thought about adding
more chain.

Admittedly I have a Maxwell 1000 but a Maxwell 500 is rated as a 225Kg pull
at the chain wheel.  60m of 6mm (1/4") grade L chain weighs around 50Kg.  So
anchor and more chain than anyone would ever be likely to carry comes to
65Kg.  The winch should be OK to lift it I would have thought.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141
AUSTRALIA