[C320-list] Lewmar hatch removal

Monkey Mail lou at flyingmonkey.im
Mon Dec 17 22:23:39 PST 2012

Wish I had thought of that. My escape hatch is in "like new" condition and I just re-bed my three deck hatches. Removal of the hatches was simple. Each hatch was bedded with Beutel rather than the typical insidious 5200. This was easy enough to clean up and remove. I bedded the hatches with hatch tape, as recommended by both Lewmar and Bomar.
While I had the hatches off I decided to complicate the simple task by improving the openings. I was disappointed to see that Catalina simply cut holes in the deck and screwed in the hatches. I removed about 1.5" deep of the balsa core around each hatch and refilled with thickened epoxy. Should the hatch ever leak, thru the screws or the seal, no core will be exposed to moisture. A bit of overkill for a coastal cruiser but I like it that way. If you've ever seen a delaminated deck you may want to consider this extra step.

Lou Hodac
Blue Moon
#702 (2000)

Sent from my iPad