[C320-list] stiff wheel -Emergency Tiller

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 10:44:59 PST 2012

John-Agree big time.  Before my hull 894 was christened, I had mentally gone
through the emergency tiller drill.  At first launch, in addition to all the
practice maneuvers in safe water, I did an emergency tiller drill.

For the folks who have not practiced with the emergency tiller, you get a
very
different perspective when landing using the emergency tiller instead of the
wheel.  Make sure you have a good quality wrench big enough to remove the
large nut holding the 40 inch wheel on.  Adjustable pliers will work, but
you will most likely scratch the elegant nut holding the wheel on.  Also
make sure you tighten it sufficiently on reinstallation and use some Loktite
anti-vibrating thread glue when putting in on so the nut and wheel don't
come off at a bad
time.

I keep the emergency tiller stowed underneath the aft mattress in aft bunk.
It is easy to access by just lifting up the edge of the mattress and doesn't
rattle around in a compartment waiting to break something or make noise.
Everyone on board is told where it is and the emergency plan near the radio
shows its location and a label on the tiller shows how it is installed.

Now being the XO in the Waukegan Sail and Power Squadron, I have
responsibility for safety programs in general including USPS Vessel Safety
Check.  I am surprised occasionally about how many on the water don't know
their boat very well which can lead to a humbling "What could I have done
better moment?" at the dock, when being towed in, or even worse with crew
aboard a life raft.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)