[C320-list] AC Install Advice

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Fri Jul 27 12:18:45 PDT 2012

The port locker ( in front of the helm) is the simplest and most direct plan
for installing the AC/Heat unit. The electrical panel is on the portside and
running water intake (under the aft berth) and discharge line (portside hull
about 12 inches above the waterline) are easy to access. The loss of storage
space is a trade-off and the lowest level storage items were often items we
could have left in the dock box or garage. We crafted a shelf above the AC
unit and that facilitated continued use of the port locker for storage. The
unit was installed just aft of the bread box but aligned so the air inlet
was at our aft berth feet area and the AC discharge was above the bread box.
The velocity of the air flow is very strong when the fan is on higher
settings and our unit has a variable speed discharge program that slows down
the velocity as the temperature nears the target setting.

The issue with the unit being installed above the fuel tank in the starboard
aft corner locker is the AC unit will be aligned to your pillow area and the
noise has been reported to be louder there than when located in the port
storage locker. Also, the ducting design presents more work.

Rick
My-Ria #277