[C320-list] Water below engine pan

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Nov 22 09:20:42 PST 2012

Hi,

We seem to get some water in the bilge area under the engine pan that doesn't naturally drain into the bilge unless sailing in bumpy seas.  Al Ahlman put a inspection port below the companionway ladder to allow him to use a shop vac to drain this.

I was thinking about putting a flush inspection port in the aft cabin under the carpet for this purpose, but don't know whether there is enough clearance between hull and liner to make that location work.

Below the prop shaft, there is a drain hole that allows any water that comes in from the stuffing box to drain towards the bilge.  I'm thinking about running a drain tube from this hole directly to the bilge to prevent that from entering this area that drains poorly.

Any other ideas?

Cheers!
Jeff Hare
2001 #809 Woodbine II