[C320-list] Trickle Charger

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 06:01:03 PST 2012

Joe-Here in northern Illinois, my marina prohibits any unattended electrical
hook ups when stored on the tarmac.  Their reason is that something could go
wrong and take down a bunch of boats.  Check to see if that is an issue
before considering an unattended trickle charger.

I have 12 seasons on my boat and on a second set of 2 4D batteries.  The
drill is to equalize them in Oct before haul out and make sure they are
fully charged when in the slip and check them over the winter once a month.
I disconnect the positives from each battery.  In the spring before launch I
bring my portable charger to the boat and put a touch up charge on the
batteries.  They have stayed over 12 volts over all winters and the charger
only works about 15 minutes on each battery before it indicates the
batteries are maxed out.  The charged is not a high amperage one so the
batteries are in good shape before topping them off.

During the sailing season I am at a slip with 24/7 power and a Xantrex 20 A
charger which replaced the original ProMariner a few years ago. The
batteries don't get big discharge cycles except for a occasional cruise.

Bob Sloat
Savannah 894 (2002)