[C320-list] Gel Coat Repair

bairdrjb at aol.com bairdrjb at aol.com
Sun Apr 7 13:28:10 PDT 2013

The gel coat on the hull around the engine exhaust outlet is in need of repair.  I don't have any experience with gel coat repair so I thought I would ask for guidance before I create a problem for myself.  Unless you guide me in another direction, I plan to use West Marine's Finish Gel Coat product.  I do have some photos of the repair area.

If I understand correctly, these are the steps to follow:  (1) First power-sand the repair area, (2) apply a Polyester Fiber Glass Resin, (3) let the resin dry and then power-sand, (4) Apply a couple coats of the Finish Gel Coat, (5) power-sand again, (6) hand sand,  (7) then buff the area with hull polish.

ALSO:  Is it possible to pull the exhaust thru hull?  If so, what is involved in re-bedding it?

I am a novice, so any helpful advice is welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Bob Baird
Star Dust, 2001, hull 784
Whitehall, Michigan