[C320-list] Steering "clunk"

Kaare Wold sailor3952 at charter.net
Thu Aug 15 21:39:40 PDT 2013

Skippers,  This is our first season with our C320.  2003 #945.  We are
experiencing a noticible "clunking" noise when moving the wheel from left to
right or visa versa.   Inspecting the steering cables, sheave on the rudder
post did not show any abnormal condition.  Further troubleshooting had us
remove the emergency tiller access plate that clearly revealed the problem.
The metal rudder shaft appears to have excessive play at the top that
results in the shaft striking the rudder tube when the steering wheel
direction is changed.  Surprisingly, there does not appear to be any sort of
bearing (or maybe mine is totally worn out) at the top of the shaft.  I may
add that this clunking noise is not noticible if steering gently or slowly.
However, a rapid change in wheel direction results in this noise.
Has anybody else experienced this noise and have any suggestions for a
remedy.  Thanks for your comments.
Kaare Wold   Sheet Music, #945