[C320-list] Steering "clunk"

clburti at gmail.com clburti at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 04:27:18 PDT 2013

There is no bearing. Your boat isn’t really old enough to be that worn unless you leave your wheel brake loose and the tide/wave/wake action at your slip causes your rudder to constantly move back and forth in response. There is a nut and bolt (4” x 5/8”?) going through the top of the rudder to hold it in place. If the nut is loose or missing, the post might make noise.

Elliptical wear of the rudder tube and post was a common problem for those of us that had 30+ year old boats built in the 1970’s with tillers. The best solution short of a rebuild was to cut strips from plastic milk bottles and slip them down the tube until the shaft was shimmed sufficiently to stop ‘clunking’. The PE plastic is slick and self lubricating and when it wears down, you just add more.

Do not let some idiot talk you into pouring epoxy down the tube to ‘rebuild’ it. The concept was to make a dam around the rudder post near the top with waxed line or tape, wax the post with mold release wax so that the epoxy wouldn’t bond to the post, re-insert the rudder into the tube and pour epoxy into the top of the tube so that when it cures it creates a bushing. While it sounds logical, the shafts wear elliptically, not evenly round as you might suppose. Thus, when the epoxy cures, the egg shaped cross section of the rudder shaft becomes almost impossible to turn even though it isn’t bonded to the epoxy bushing.

Fair Winds
Chris Burti
Commitment
Catalina 320, #867