[C320-list] chain plate rebedding

Nat Antler nantler at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 9 11:17:06 PDT 2013

I've got a slow leak in my forward starboard chainplate (I assume that's the source since it had lots of rust stains) that has gradually filled the cabin light fixture below with stained water with a small puddle collecting on the shelf below (over several months). I've read recent posts about re-bedding with butyl. I'm not clear on the basic procedure, especially when references are made to detaching the tie rods. What happens to the shroud tension? Is there a step-by-step procedure tutorial available?

Thanks, Nat #161 1994