[C320-list] Free to a good home

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 18:03:58 PDT 2013

I've replaced my original equipment Maxwell 500 windlass with a much larger
Maxwell VW10.  The old unit is now a paperweight.  It was never used by
Satori's first owner and does not work.  I've put a 12 volt battery on it
and nothing happens, so I'd say the motor is shot.  But it must contain
lots of re-usable parts, even though it's 15 years old.

SO: if anyone wants it (capstan, shaft, gearbox, keys, "motor," most of the
footswitch (minus the metal ring because that fit over the new foot
switch), nuts and bolts, etc).  All you will have to pay is postage and I
have no idea how much that will be.

gene

C320 1997 #398

ps/ the VW10 fits in the existing space.  We had to drill a larger hole for
the shaft, new holes for the mounting studs, and put in a couple of backing
boards (epoxied plywood) but there was still room for everything, just.
 The work was made much easier after we cut out about a one foot by one
foot piece from the the starboard side of the non-structural fiberglass
bulkhead in the V-berth  that sits behind the nice wooden wall that you
push against with your feet when lying in the f'csle, above the little
shelf.  We used the existing #4 wiring but had to install the larger (120
amp) breaker on the board that sits forward of the DC side of the main
breaker panel.  I can provide details if anyone wants.

--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"You noticed nobody gives a damn about beached minnows."