[C320-list] Water lift Muffler

Mike Ott wmo48 at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 07:19:38 PDT 2013

Tony,
If it is the aqua-lift muffler that is leaking you have some options.  If you
can't see the leak when the engine is running, but know it is coming from under
the muffler area, you can try re-bedding the screws.  To do this drain the
muffler through the brass petcock, remove the screws and let it the area dry out
for a few days.  Take a q-tip dipped in acetone and clean inside the screw
holes.  Using bedding compound like 3M-5200 to coat the top 1/3 of screws, below
the head and refasten muffler to the base.  The reason your only coating the top
of the screws is in case this doesn't work and you need to pull the muffler.
Let this setup for a few days and give it test.
If it is still leaking your going to have to pull the muffler, not too tough but
not too easy either due to the strength of the exhaust hose from the wet-elbow
to the muffler.  Once it is out you can re-glass the flange area which is
usually where the leak is occurring or have Catalina build you a new one.  My
experience with Catalina was not good one on this issue because over the years
the design changed a number of times, and they couldn't find my style in their
mold inventory.
I ended up re-glassing the flange area and it has held up for over 2 years now.
The re-glassing was not that tough, although somewhat messy, and the whole cost
for materials was about $20  (I know Chris, I'll try to write a Mainsheet
article for you).
I was in the business for a while and did a lot of research trying to find an
aftermarket replacement, with no luck.  Like most things associated with boats,
everything is a compromise, and Catalina like the companies I worked for made
their own mufflers.
Good luck,

Mike Ott
'Amanda Lu'