[C320-list] Autopilot

Ian Davis iand2002 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 11:32:36 PST 2013

Has anyone mounted a Raymarine (was Autohelm) wheel autopilot onto an early
320 (mine is #18).  My experience of doing this comes from my old 32’
Jeanneau 15 years ago which I no longer have.  But I now want to add one to
my C320

One part requiring mounting is a circular drive unit that must be attached
to 3 of the steering wheel spokes.  A built-in motor then drives the boat’s
wheel.  To stop the whole unit revolving when the motor runs, there is a
separate large ¾ diameter metal pin that must be mounted to the binnacle
housing with the pin poking into a hole on the circular drive unit at the
bottom.

On my Jeanneau affixing the pin to the binnacle seemed relatively easy – a
couple of screws.  But, on the C320, there is a huge instrument panel for
the engine controls just behind and below the wheel hub precluding access to
most of the binnacle housing.  I was in the local West Marine discussing
this and they called Raymarine but the guy we got effectively refused to
discuss mounting for a specific boat type (other than to suggest – “mount it
upside down – with the pin at the top!”).

So, the question – has anyone mounted (or even just have) a
Raymarine/Autohelm wheel autopilot on a C320 and how is the circular drive
unit’s metal pin mounted to the binnacle.

Thanks,   Ian Davis     Wind Star (#18)