[C320-list] Spinnaker

DennyBrowne@Verizon.net dennybrowne at verizon.net
Wed Nov 20 06:42:21 PST 2013

We've been racing in spinnaker class with modest success this year. Just
when we think we have the spinnaker mastered, well, another lesson comes
along. It's fun beyond words, and we usually don't draw blood or break
anything. We do have some nice chips in the gelcoat from dropped pole,
dropped winches.

I agree with all of Chris Burti's comments re the sail and gear. I also
agree with attaching the turning blocks to the aft cleats, but we attach
them to the bottom of the forward most tube on the stern pulpit with no
problems. We use twings (or tweakers) to move the lead angle forward,
particularly on the afterguy (the )side that controls the tack/pole, and
choke it down more as the wind moves forward. Twings are lightweight blocks
you run the spinnaker sheet through, and a line runs from the block to the
deck so you can pull down on the sheet in the middle. This provides a little
better sheeting angle on the pole, and keeps the afterguy from applying
inward pressure on the stanchions. They're made to resist outward pressure,
not inward pressure. On the sheet side, the twing can keep the sheet from
chafing on the boom when running pretty deep.

I like the idea of the folding padeyes directly outboard of the primary
winches, and have the padeyes but haven't installed them yet. I don't like
to drill holes in my boat, but this is really the best option. From this
point, there is a clear lead to the primary or cabintop winches for the spin
sheets and guys. The advantage of the cabintop option is that the primary
winch can be used for the genoa sheet when setting up to round the windward
or leeward mark. The disadvantage is that you may want a halyard winch, but
frankly, you if you're winching up the genoa halyard in anything but very
heavy air, you're likely over tensioning the luff and shortening the life of
the sail. It also makes it a little tricky to trim the main, as it also uses
the cabintop winches, but off the wind, the jam cleats work fine. We're
going to try a new block and tackle mainsheet system next year so the
winches aren't needed for the main.

On the foredeck, I have a padeye that where I attach two blocks for a double
ended foreuy. These are small blocks, as the load isn't high. Between them
is another small block with snap shackle that attaches to the bottom bridle
on the spinnaker pole. The two ends of the foreguy run aft along either side
of the cabin to cam cleats mounted on the side of the cabin at the aft edge,
inside the genoa tracks. You'll need a pole topping lift that exits the mast
about 3/4 of the way up to keep the pole from falling on the foreguy deck
guy's head. Doesn't always work, sometimes he gets whacked. The foreguy is
cleated either at the mast or runs back to the cockpit. I favor the former
but have the latter. If you have a dedicated crew to handle the halyards,
topping lift and foreguy, he/she almost inevitably gets in the way of the
main trimmer. If one crew has to do all that stuff, something doesn't get
done at the right time and boats sail past you.

Harvey Mudd College has an excellent article
(http://www.hmc.edu/org/sailing/sailing-spinnaker.htm )on Spinnaker rigging,
hoisting, dousing and trimming. There are lots of others. You and your crew
can read them all, memorize them and still screw it up when you're rounding
a mark with other boats...

Try it, you'll love it! And, you will never stop learning about it!

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935