[C320-list] Converting rope windlass gypsy to handle chain

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 16:49:17 PDT 2014

 We replaced our old Maxwell with a Maxwell VW10.  More than enough power
to lift 50 ft of 5/16 chain and a 33 lb Rocna.  Used it extensively on a
month-long trip into British Columbia.  We got the chain gypsy for 5/16
chain.  There is sufficient room below deck for the unit, although we made
our lives easier and removed a section of the forward bulkhead that sits
behind the wooden wall in the forward part of the V-berth. When the wood
goes back on, you don't know anything happened.
        The installation was not cookbook, and I had a very experienced
professional boat builder do most of the work.  Issues (beyond removing the
old, frozen Maxwell) included conforming the windlass to its mounting base
in the chain locker (it took adding a piece so the new unit had a
flush/flat base to sit against), and installing a new, dedicated switch up
near but not on the instrument panel/circuit breaker board  (but we
fortunately were able to use the old wiring). Inconvenient issues that
arose include limited space between the gypsy/capstan and the bulkhead aft
of it: just barely room for chain with a thimble and shackle.  We;'re
seriously considering going to a direct rope splice with our triple braid
to the chain.  Raising and lowering take some getting used to, mainly in
learning how much and when to apply and release the brake.

I have a photo of the final installation, looking down on the chain locker
that I can send if you'd like (to your email since the list-serve doesn't
handle attachments).   Feel free to ask questions and I hope I'll have
answers, although it's a year out now and I don't remember all the details.
 Maxwell was very helpful, both over the phone and via email.

gene
Satori, #398

--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"You noticed nobody gives a damn about beached minnows."