[C320-list] Converting rope windlass gypsy to handle chain

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 08:33:48 PDT 2014

I'd be a little concerned about the s.s. clamps snagging either chain or
especially rope.  not as big a deal when hoisting although it could lead to
build up and CF that would have to be backed off. Could lead to major snafu
when lowering.  I do the take-the-rope-off-put-the-chain-on thing but it
gets tricky in anything other than ideal (e.g., usual) conditions and you
wind up pulling against all your chain plus hook weight and more if still
in contact with the bottom or there's strong headwinds.  I'm switching to a
rope-to-chain splice this year to avoid that problem.

gene
Satori, #398
15 KG Rocna, 50 ft 5/16 chain, Maxwell V10

--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"You noticed nobody gives a damn about beached minnows."