[C320-list] Stuffing box

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jun 26 08:22:31 PDT 2014

When you say it's hot, how hot?  Uncomfortably warm to the touch, would it
burn you if you touched it?  Would it sizzle if you dripped water on it?

The type of packing material you use determines what's "normal" for temp.
The PTFE/GoreTex packing materials can safely run "hot", but by hot here, I
mean uncomfortably warm ie. you won't feel like holding your hand on it for
more than 5 or 10 seconds but it shouldn't be blistering your skin.  These
kinds don't need water to lubricate them, but the flax type packing
materials must drip when running to stay lubricated.

All that said, if it's one of the modern types, you should be able to run it
hot for a few hours then back the nut off a bit and have it still not drip.

Other questions:
* What size material are you using and how are you installing it?

You should be able to get 2 rings in. They should be cut at a 45 degree
slant where the ends meet AND the joints of the two rings should be 180
degrees apart.

We always use 2 rings of 3/16" GFO Packing material.  Be absolutely sure
you've removed all the old packing material or that could be part of your
problem.  Ours runs fairly warm with the engine at 3K RPM over a period of
time, but it won't burn me.

-Jeff