[C320-list] Hull makeover

DAVE Swanson kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 10:08:15 PDT 2015

Scott,

I quick note on protecting the prop.  I looked into Prospeed, but it seemed too expensive and the preparation for applying its multi-part application seemed too time consuming.  So we have been using a $20 can of Petit zinc paint and have been happy with it.

We have kept our C320 in the warmer waters of San Diego Bay and now the colder waters of Puget Sound.  For protecting our fixed 3 blade propellor against fouling, here is what we have done and it was worked really well:

1.  Remove barnacles with pressure washing.
2.  Lightly hand sand with emery cloth and to a bright finish and use vinegar to clean.
3.  Paint propellor with Petit Prop Coat Barnacle Barrier Paint (about $20).  It is a zinc-rich primer type of paint.  I use 2 to 3 light coats on the propellor and the stainless steel propellor shaft.  Make sure to not paint over the zincs.
4.  Let the zinc-rich paint dry and coat the propellor with Lanocote.  The lanolin-based Lanocote is a tenacious anticorrossion paste.  They market a Prop & Bottom version of this product, but I just use the regular Lanocote.  The stuff is so sticky and tenacious - a little dap will do ya!

Both in the Bay and the Sound, the propellor has stayed free of barnacles and fouling.  When I haul the boat for bottom painting (about every 3 years) , the Lanocote is gone and the zinc primer has just about worn away as well.  We use Petit Trinidad antifouling bottom paint on the hull and have been very happy with it.

Dave

David Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107