[C320-list] Traveler Mounting Screws

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Jul 21 05:43:29 PDT 2015

Larry,

Take your time here.  Over the course of a week or so, drip some corrosion
cutting/penetrating oil on the screw.  Then you can break it free.  A good
impact drill may do a great job of freeing this without breaking the bolt.
The other good option if you don't need to remove the traveler bolts except
to fix the leak, just drip some "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure" on the
screw heads and let that siphon in and seal the bolts.  Choose one or the
other.

My recommendation is to break the bolt free if you can and fix it properly
because the leak may not be from the bolt head, but from where the traveler
unit meets the deck.  When you put the screws back in, use a countersink
drill bit to chamfer the screw hole in the gelcoat, use butyl tape and coat
the bolt threads with TefGel anti corrosion grease which will both form a
waterproof seal on the threads and prevent any corrosion from forming so
they will be possible to remove for the next 20 years.

-Jeff Hare
#809  "Lightning Rod"  (formerly Woodbine II)   :-)