[C320-list] Microwave oven - need replacement

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Mon Jul 27 08:46:10 PDT 2015

I copy a few messages from this forum below

                                         +

Happy Sailing!          /||\

John                           / ||  \

                                  /    ||    \

                                /      ||      \

                              /        ||        \

                            /          ||          \

                          /            ||            \

                        /              ||              \

                      /                ||                \

                    /                  ||                  \

                  /                    || Hull 1118 \

                /                      ||                      \

              /                        ||                         \

            /     Catalina     ||                           \

          /     C320MKII    ||                             \

        /            2007         ||                                \

      /                                ||_____________\

    /_____________||____

    _________/__________\_____|__

     \              Lake Guntersville, AL                    l_

      \________________________________)

                                  \       |                              |

                                    \__|                               |_|

On 8/22/2012 1:12 PM, hcreech at comcast.net wrote:

> OK I DID IT!

> I was really about to give up. Found a white Rival 700 watt microwave with
nice features at Wallyworld for only $49.00. It met every dimension but
height, it was 10-1/8" high and I had to fit it in 9-7/8" with some wiggle
room. I figured at this low price it was worth a try even if it did not
work, but it did!

> I popped off the front plastic legs with a pair of pliers, the easy part,
then filed the rear metal legs down to the metal base of the microwave. It
took a while to do but was not that hard. The design of the bottom looked
like that even without the legs it would have sufficient air circulation. It
fit like a glove and is working great. If Myron is right about the older
boats having an opening of 9-5/8" it won' t work without modifying the
outside wood frame, but there is plenty of room behind the frame where the
space is higher. Can't believe how much effort I put in to find a
replacement, but I believe work just fine.

> I am going to keep the older microwave and see if I can have it fixed for
a backup, but only at a reasonable price. If Warren can let me know where he
had his repaired it would be quite helpful?

> Herb Creech

> Cloud Chaser 606

I'll mention that I too had that microwave, and it failed last year.  Turned
out to be an easy fix - just needed to clean the internal connector between
the PC board and the keypad.

As others noted at the time, don't try this if you're not comfortable
working on electronics.  There is likely high voltage present, even if the
unit is unplugged.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Barbara Uhlman <uhlman at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> So far, I have found one set of notes.  It says that the micro is h 9

> 5/8 w 19 1/2 d 11 1/2

> The cabinet is  (these make no sense!!) h 10 1/2  (something about a

> 5/8" lip, probably what hangs down from

> above.)

> w 15 1/2   11 1/4

> d  (5 3/4)   17 1/2

> The micro that came on the boat is

> http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/tm5030.asp as a point of comparison

> We went to the boat last Sat. but probably won't again for some time.

> If I find any more notes, will let you know.

> Barb

> ________________________________

We went through this a few months ago.   We couldn't find any

microwave that fits that space.   We finally found one of the original

model on Craigslist and bought it.

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Welch, Myron D <myron-welch at uiowa.edu>
wrote:

> Herb,

> The dimensions on my 1995 cabinet opening are:

> 19 3/8" Wide

> 9 5/8" High

> 12" Deep   My microwave front is 13" from the back of the cabinet. That
puts the front of the door about in line with the other cabinet doors.

From: Diane <dianeflr at aol.com>