[C320-list] Deck changes

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Tue Mar 24 07:50:40 PDT 2015

Warren,

I would like to know this information too. I discovered a leaking chain
plate this weekend and want to know the complexity of the job before I
tackle it.

Warren - I would appreciate a copy of whatever procedure you followed in
case I discover that my boat has not had the newer layup schedule.

I inquired of Catalina and this is the reply I received from Warren
Pandy in the Florida plant:
Going back 20 years, we were not yet on computer so this would be a
considerable archive search execise to see if this detail was recorded
or can be found. However if you are taking out or rebedding the
chainplate it will only take a fraction of that time, a few minutes
difference if there happens to be any core close to or at the chainplate
cut. On any deck if there is no wood or core, applying the Urethane
based Sikaflex, 4200 or 5200 to the gap between the cut out and the
plate is the normal process. However any any make/model boat if one is
going thru a core, first a resin or epoxy coating is applied to the
vertical cut surface and the the 4200 or 5200 and chainplate are
installed. If there is a core there and it has any damage or if one just
wants and extra level of protection, simply notch or carve out some of
the core and then back fill it with Resin or Epoxy filler putty. then
proceed to follow above.

Is there anyone here who has done the repair and can state whether there
was visible core material? If so, please note your hull number. This
would be useful to know...

Thanks!

---
Doug Treff