[C320-list] Boat In Charter -- Practical Considerations?

Joel Krauska joel at krauska.net
Tue May 5 21:42:08 PDT 2015

I'm considering holding my boat in charter.
(both for skippered trips and bareboat)

There's a school in my marina where I personally took classes 10 years ago
who I think would take decent care of the boat.  They require ASA and do a
written an on-the-water test of any bareboat charters.  (I am still
responsible for maintenance, they would just do minor cleanup.)

Obviously there are higher insurance expenses and the boat will get more
wear/tear over time.

I like the idea of having another 'set' of eyes on the boat from time to
time to keep an eye on her.

It's easier than having a boat partner.  I have no expectation that it will
pay for much more than the added insurance costs and possibly some dock
fees.  It's probably mostly a win from a depreciating business asset
perspective, but that's nothing about boating....

Does anyone else on the list do this with their boat?

Could you weigh in on some of the practical considerations?

eg. Putting a lock on an 'owners locker' or two.  Keeping the fridge
stocked and asking for honor-system pay per drink?  Using combo locks
instead of keys?  Putting in 'tracking' devices to log usage.  Extra
'safety' items and/or bumpers for docking?

Any horror stories?

Cheers,

Joel