[C320-list] engine anti-siphon valve question

Dave Ouimette drouimette at aol.com
Thu Oct 1 14:45:11 PDT 2015

Jeff (and anyone else),

My boat is a 1995 model and has a Perkins M-30 engine. I have seen in later models the anti-siphon valve is as you suggested...placed high in the aft port side locker. But the 1995 manual shows it to be located inside the engine compartment, port side. Even mounted as high as possible, there appears to be only 5-6 inches or so clearance above waterline. I have heard from one other owner of a C320 who has an anti-siphon valve in that location and he says it works. I'm not real comfortable with this because, as I understand it, you may not know it doesn't work until a vane breaks off in the raw water pump allowing seawater to pass and (maybe) setting up siphon action.  I don't know if the Perkins raw water pump can handle pumping water the added distance if the valve is moved to the port side lazarette. Anyone have further ideas about this? Is my concern real?