[C320-list] Recent traffic

Rick Sonntag c250 at ricksonntag.com
Thu Oct 29 09:52:07 PDT 2015

Raising rates to compensate for reduced demand is a guaranteed way to go
out of business.

While I haven't noticed that happening, I have seen that rates do not drop
as much as you might expect from the reduced demand. And there is good
reason why the supply-demand curves that we learned in Economics 101 are an
overly simplistic model. That's because when the classical intersection of
those curves falls below the cost of doing business, then businesses will
fold, reducing the supply and raising the price at which supply and demand
intersect. This process of contraction of the supply will continue until
the intersection point allows a sufficient profit margin to incent marinas
to stay in business.

Much as we hate the high marina rates, the waterfront property upon which
they sit is generally valuable, environment is hostile (moisture and salt
lead to high maintenance), and it can be costly to deliver supplies and
utilities to waterfront locations. So as demand reduces, it is more likely
that supply would reduce instead of prices falling. I believe that is what
we are seeing.

I'm not an economist, but I enjoy pretending. My lame claim to fame: My dog
once peed on Ben Bernanke's daughter's sleeping bag. (Ben and I remained
friends nonetheless.)

--Rick