[C320-list] Bilge pump

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 14:55:23 PDT 2016

I fitted a Rule1100 submesrsible pump in the bilge - pumps 1100 Gal per hour. You can buy them with inbuilt float switches too.

Advantages:
Lot less to go wrong
Easily unclip from base to clear any debris that gets past the grille
Much quieter - wont wake everyone up!
Keeps the wet stuff away from the locker under the port settee.
Quck and reltively cheap to replaced

Disadvantages
Much quieter - its not so obvious if pump is pumping a lot.
There is a backflow when the pump stops, this can be enough to set off the separete float switch again causing an endless cycling. The answer is to fit a non return valve and the convenient place to do this is where you remove the old bilge pump, as it enables you to joinn what was the in and the out hoses.

Hope that helps

Graeme
366, Jaskar, 1996, England

On 8 Apr 2016, at 22:47, Charles Mueller <katchu at chartermi.net> wrote:

> I bought a kit for my Jabsco diaphragm pump five years ago, which replaced
> all the valves and a few other items.  My records show it as PN 37182, and I
> paid about $70 for it.  It solved a slow pumping problem, but I probably
> need to do it again.  The replacement below might be a better bet, or
> replacing the diaphragm pump with a centrifugal pump that's located in the
> bilge.  Those are less expensive and pump a lot more water.  Has anyone
> dumped the Jabsco in favor or something in the bilge?
> Chuck Mueller
> Northwind 676
> Holland, MI
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2016 12:14:10 -0400
> From: Doug Treff <doug at treff.us>
> To: C320-List at catalina320.com
> Subject: Re: [C320-list] Spring Projects
>

> Yes I installed one of these last year. Be careful not to over-tighten the
> hose clamps because the hose barbs on the pump are made of plastic and will
> crack and leak. It turned my repair job into quite the expensive ordeal, as
> I had to order a second pump.
>
> Additionally, they changed the hole pattern for the mounting screws so a
> slight mod (Drill one or two new holes - I can't remember exactly).
>
> ---
> Doug Treff
> doug at treff.us
>
> On 2016-04-08 09:08, Bill Hutt wrote:
>
>> To all,
>>
>> On the bilge pump. I did some research on the original pump and came
>> up with a new version that Jamestown Distributors carry. Any one have
>> any experience with this?
>> http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=98
>> 72 [1]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9872

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!