[C320-list] Diesel/exhaust smell in odd places

Rick rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Aug 15 15:17:10 PDT 2016

Graeme,
I suggest that you check the muffler for any breach evidence by looking for
water leakage due to a crack in the fiberglass in and around the screws
where the muffler is attached to the liner..... also check for cracks in the
exhaust hose aft of the muffler as well as look for any wear points where
the hose may be in contact with a friction point by observing where the
exhaust hose may be in contact with the hull or the refer shelf while the
exhaust hose is pulsing as the engine is running.

While to date my hull #277 has not experienced a cracked muffler, I did have
an exhaust hose friction point issue several years ago that was easily
repaired, and just 2 years ago I had to replace the aging exhaust hose from
the muffler to the hull portside  exit. You may also have a manifold hose or
clamp breach if your model requires that the elbow be periodically cleaned
or replaced....
Rick