[C320-list] AC through-hull

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 09:42:23 PST 2016

Chris, we installed AC in our #62 at same time as a friend #647, and there
were differences between the installations. Both were in the port locker.
The differences were small but quite noticeable. In ours, there was just not
enough room in the shaft alley to put the thru-hull. We located in the stb
space under the bunk: we have no water tank there. The pump we put in the
shaft alley behind the raw water thru-hull. On #647, the thru-hull was put
in the shaft alley as there was slightly more room there. The hull is quite
thick all through this area especially along the center line.

On the basis that closing all thru-hulls upon closing the boat, placing it
behind the raw water inlet can be a pain to reach depending on how the bunk
is made-up.

A thru-hull will also be needed for the cooling water discharge. This should
be as close to the water line as feasible. We put ours in line with and a
few inches aft of the exhaust thru-hull. I don't see the value of
prospectively installing the inlet thru-hull if not, similarly, installing
the outlet.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay